FREE UK Shipping Over £60 - 60 Day Returns - Money Back Guarantee

0

Your Cart is Empty

January 25, 2022 5 min read

BATTLE OF THE BRITS

Khan and Brook comes face to face in the first press conference

Kell Brook and Amir Khan will finally put an end to their long-running rivalry. Khan, the former WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion, and Brook, the former IBF welterweight champion, will fight on February 19 in Manchester after a decade of back and forth between the two brits. The British boxing fans kept waiting for the ultimate Heavyweight showdown between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury but both fighters opted for different paths. The fight between Kell Brook and Amir Khan is iconic as they are still considered the best welterweights in the country if not the world.

About six years ago a showdown between the British rivals would have been considered a mega fight. Both boxers were at the peak of their powers. However, Khan opted to fight Canelo for a mega-fight. Meanwhile, Kell Brook went to test himself against GGG in a fight in which he got schooled. Due to both boxers losing high profile fights the bout between them never materialized and lost its spark. This time the fans can enjoy watching their favorite boxers battle it out in Manchester. Sky Sports Box Office will be covering the entire event.

 

A LONG RIVALRY WAS FINALLY TO BE SETTLED

Khan and Brook Appearing on Sky Sports Ringside in 2013

 

Amir Khan versus Kell Brook may have arrived a few years too late, and they may be past their prime, but their fight on February 19 will be a major event for one reason: their true and visceral loathing for one another. Khan took tremendous joy in reliving their first meeting as adolescents competing for a berth on the Olympic team. In 2013, both Khan and Brook appeared on Sky Sports Ringside and traded insults towards each other. Khan said “I used to school him in Olympic training camp, the trainers used to say "just go in and use one hand against him today!''

When asked to elaborate about the Olympic training sessions, Khan added: "I was training in Sheffield, just before the Olympic camp I was there for the England camps and I remember sparring Kell Brook there and being told to use only one hand against him because I was schooling him and I had to take it easy on him.”

This tale isn't the source of all the bad blood here, but it does demonstrate why Brook is so heated up for this fight. He believes, Khan is dismissive and disrespectful, and he feels belittled by him. Brook, without a doubt, is the one who feels the sting of this rivalry more than Khan. While both men have fought some of boxing's greats, Brook claims he has been chasing the fight for years, elevating Khan to a pedestal and believing it will give him a slight edge in the fight due to the level of opposition he has faced over the last few years. Meanwhile, Khan's last win came against Billy Dib in Saudia Arabia in 2019 where he comfortably won in the 4th round via TKO. Khan also might think that the past sessions during the Olympics might not be enough to get him a victory over Brook this time.

 This fight is riveting because of the bad blood that has built up over the last decade. They will think about the future on February 19 as much as they will use it for fuel. Khan and Brook are well aware that in another ten years, the talk on the streets of Bolton or Sheffield will be about next year's all-or-nothing showdown.

 

HEAD TO HEAD ANALYSIS

Tale of the tape

 

 Khan has always had the advantage in speed, but Brook is a more powerful puncher, resulting in a classic stylistic clash. This fight was a true 50/50 and one of the greatest Britain has to offer when the competitors, now both 34, were in their prime.

Now that they're both nearing the end of equally great careers, the winner will come down to who has the most left in the tank. Brook got out to a solid start against Crawford, winning the jab war and defending well. However, considering his two previous stoppage losses to Spence and GGG, another stoppage loss will be taxing on the body.

Khan dominated Dib in his previous fight, but he seemed hopelessly outmatched against Crawford, appearing flat-footed and slow to the attack. Brook will need to go behind his jab and break down his opponent, letting loose of his straight right hand or uppercut at the appropriate times. Khan, on the other hand, must get into a rhythm in the ring and fight in bursts, snatching rounds in the process.

A worrying fact about Khan would be his chin which had been quite brittle in his last fights. Khan would need to implement his style and try not to get hit by Brook or it can be a very long night for Khan.

Kell Brook has been the more active fighter winning 3 fights out of his last 5 while fighting twice in 2020. Khan has a similar streak but his ring rust could be a huge factor coming into this fight.

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FIRST PRESS CONFERENCE

Khan and Brook lock horns as tension rise up during their press conference

 

The press conference took place on 29th November and there were flares all over the place. The press conference got heated as everyone expected. When their initial face-off threatened to devolve into a physical brawl ahead of their long-awaited grudge match, security had to separate the British rivals.

Kell Brook was asked about his thoughts on the fight to which he said “That's when Amir Khan will hit the deck for the final time." Brook also explained the reasons why this fight could not take place 5 to 6 years earlier. He added "He's always veered off, never given me respect, never acknowledged me. He has said: 'Win a world title then I will fight you, fight this guy then I will fight you.”

Khan came up with his combinations and replied to Brook saying "I have never run from Kell. I have never needed to, What I have achieved speaks for itself, there is no point crying about the past. In the past, he hasn't deserved this fight. Come February 19 it will be time to see if he can back those words up."

Khan also mentioned that the reason they never fought before was that he never saw Brook as a worthy opponent. To which Brook indicated that Khan is in Cuckoo Land and he is getting knocked cleanout.

Tensions have started to fly high and fans cannot wait to see the brits lock horn in Manchester AO Arena on February 19th. Khan vs Brook will be shown live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Arena for fans in the UK. As far as the prediction goes Special K has been tipped to beat his bitter rival. Bookmakers have Kell Brook as their favorite. He's currently 4/7 (-175) to win the fight outright, but Amir Khan is 6/4 (+150) to pull off a minor shock. This means that the oddsmakers believe Brook has a 62 percent probability of winning, while Khan has a 38 percent chance. Brook was the early favorite at 8/13 (-161), but his odds have since widened to -19/20 (+105). Khan started at 13/10 (+129) and has now dropped to 6/-5 (+83).

The full undercard for Khan vs Brook has yet to be fully confirmed but it's expected to be a night filled with prospective talent.

  • Amir Khan vs Kell Brook - welterweight
  • Bradley Rea vs TBA - middleweight
  • Viddal Riley vs TBA - cruiserweight
  • Adam Azim vs TBA - lightweight
  • Hassan Azim vs TBA - welterweight


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.